Friday, October 5, 2007

All Eyes on Burma

I will always remember the first time I watched "Schindler's List" and "Hotel Rwanda." When I watched these movies, my heart was totally broken. I wondered, 'Why didn't people DO something about these injustices?' I mean, I know that there were a lot of individuals who did step up to try to fight against injustice, but in terms of global action... often it was too little, too late.

As many of you know, Burma has been on my heart for a long time now. Two years ago, when I snuck across the border from Thailand into Burma, I was overwhelmed by the heart-breaking stories that I heard there. Stories of women and children being raped and killed. Villages burned to the ground. Families forced to flee from their homes. Horrible, appalling stories. But these are not merely stories from a movie about some historical event that happened ages ago, leaving us unable to do anything to change the situation. These stories from the people of Burma are REAL stories, of REAL events happening to REAL people, right now! And we CAN do something about it.

1 comment:

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

wow kimberlee what an incredible person you are! so inspiring. blessings to you :)